Reflection on technical drawing task for exercise 3.4, part 5, unit 1

I really like how wires on technical drawing on screen convey ‘moire’ effect I had in mind. It would look even better in shiny stainless steel in real life.

One of the most difficult and satisfying tasks in this exercise was drawing the top rings in side elevation. It took some time to work out what it should look like.

The entrance in plan view was also really tricky. Initially it looked like this:

I realised that I never included the material of legs – it’s stainless steel.

I’m afraid I encountered a ‘design fail’ in my technical drawing. Side elevation wires have a gap that is not attractive. To fix that I would need to change the design of the entrance and/ or positioning of the wires. Unfortunately time restraints did not allow it. I feel I should have discovered it at previous exercise (design development). Someone once said that design development can go forever and I think I have a perfect example here. If I had a time restraint like this in ‘real’ design life, I would probably submit what I have to the client and propose the following versions around the entrance.

I particularly like version 2. The entrance is circular in the top and goes straight down the sides (rather than narrowing like in original design). I think wires in ray like position would give even better moire effect as well.

Another solution would be to do what I did in model building. I attached the wires to the back of the entrance and therefore they went ‘lower’ on the frame.

During the process of technical drawing I decided that some of the wires attachments around the entrance would be different to the rest of them. I opted for a different mount, a vertical type, that would have to be installed at the same angle that the wire meets the frame.

It’s all very complicated and I feel that more research and development work is needed.

I also realise I didn’t do all wires as I should have. I.e. I didn’t use guidelines to place them on relevant spots on the frame. Instead I just spread them evenly in elevation views even though it would not look like that. They would be closer together towards the edges of the view and further apart in the centre of the view. It took such a long time to draw and position all the wires. I think I spent around 40 hours on technical drawing task. I was thinking lines, I was dreaming lines… I kept thinking of contextual study about lines from previous exercise. I was very grateful for the existence of guidelines, without them this task would have been impossible.

I feel I should have started with ‘rough’ technical drawing, followed up by scale model building and then refined technical drawing.

I think in design work you would normally jump back and forth between such tasks as you refine the design. Here I did them once and in specific order.

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create your website with WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this: