I completed my drawings using automatic 0.9 pencil, HB. I just love how the pencil glides on paper.
I looked at my drawings from previous exercise and decided to go in that direction. First, I played with the shape of the entrance (Fig. 1).
Then using tracing paper I redrew them with shaded entrance option, I liked rounded option most and the bigger drawing was my last drawing on this page. (Fig. 2)
I quite like the rounded, shaded entrance but after drawing it in side elevation I did not like it as much (Fig. 3).
Using tracing paper, I drew the shape again, but this time with more simple entrance (fig. 4). I felt like the shape of my pavilion is somehow inspired by ‘Gherkin’ building in London.
As much as I was happy with proportions and aesthetics of my design I kept worrying that for it to be translucent and light it would have to be made either of glass (heavy and expensive) or pvc (unsustainable and also pricey). Also, I was afraid that on a warm day it would turn into a ‘glass house’ despite many gaps and opening in the roof.
It took me a while to come up with the next design (Fig. 5 & 6). Funnily enough it was Peckham Library pods that inspired me. The three legs and rounded shape are ‘borrowed’ from there. I have not decided what material it will be yet. There are some options that I will explore further in next exercise. Using string as in Oasis Pavilion may be an option, I found that interior very peaceful.
I loved using tracing paper in this exercise. It made it quite easy to repeat the proportions that I wanted to keep.
Lastly, I decided to photograph my model with some scale figures (Fig. 12). As ‘tried them on’ I realised the supporting columns are too high, so I shortened them. Now sadly the entrance is a little lower than I would have liked, but this is just my first model and I think it shows my idea well.
To me this whole task was the most difficult so far. It is hard to think of the design but only concentrate on one aspect of it. I keep thinking about the materials, the brief does not specify whether it will be a permanent or temporary structure… We also have no budget (which may be a good thing at this stage). It was interesting to see how I came from my first drawing in Exercise 2.3 (https://aggievideoblog.files.wordpress.com/2021/01/fig.-1.jpeg) to this model.